Wednesday, May 13, 2020
CBD Oil and Kratom: A match made in Heaven?
CBD Oil and Kratom
The use of CBD oil and its related products is increasing as its numerous health benefits have surfaced. You can now get supplements, inhalers, food, shampoos, gels, creams, and numerous other products infused with CBD!
The introduction and legalization of CBD across various countries have increased the potential use of other stimulants or plant derivatives for the same purposes. One such drug derived from plants is kratom, a drug that has been around for over a century.
Kratom – An Introduction
Kratom is derived from the kratom plant, which belongs to the coffee family! Thus, it was used as a stimulant just like coffee.
Kratom consists of many psychoactive compounds in its leaves. It has different effects on the body at different doses. In small quantities, it stimulates the brain, improves mood, enhances functioning, and removes fatigue. At higher doses, it causes sedation.
Kratom has often been compared to opioids because it activates the same receptors in the brain as opioids do!
It has been traditionally used to relieve pain, remove lethargy, and to enhance mood.
The Different Between CBD and Kratom
Kratom and CBD are often compared for their effects. They’re both derived from plants and they both have anxiolytic, relaxing, and pain-relieving properties at certain doses.
However, unlike CBD, kratom is addictive because it stimulates opioid receptors.
Moreover, they originate from different plants and have different extraction processes. Kratom leaves are usually chewed whole or crushed and smoked like tobacco while CBD oil is extracted through a long process.
Can you Use CBD Oil and Kratom Together?
Since CBD oil and kratom have many similar effects on the human body (although they’re essentially different compounds with different molecular structures), many people often use them together to relieve chronic pain.
CBD oil and kratom together enhance and intensify each other’s effects. Using them both together can provide relief for chronic pain and inflammatory disorders.
CBD oil takes some time to work when it comes to pain relief, while kratom acts on the opioid receptors rapidly and provides quick pain relief. Therefore, their combination can be used to relieve chronic pain where kratom provides immediate effects and CBD provides long-term effects.
Moreover, they can also be used together to relieve anxiety, depression and improve mood. Here, too, kratom provides an immediate effect while CBD takes a few weeks to show its long-term effects!
CBD oil and kratom are also used together to help in opioid withdrawal. Kratom works on the same receptors as opioids, but its effects are less intense than opioids.
Therefore, when you use kratom and CBD oil together, you get the stimulatory and analgesic effects of opioids, but at a lower intensity. This helps in opioid withdrawal because sudden opioid withdrawal can be very painful and hard to deal with.
Relapses are also less likely to occur this way.
While it is relatively safe to use both of these drugs together, there are a few precautions you need to take while doing so.
Here are some of the do’s and don’ts of using CBD oil and kratom together:
· Start with a low dose of both substances! No matter how many times you’ve tried kratom and CBD oil before, start with a low dose when you try both of them together because their effects potentiate and enhance each other. You don’t know how intense their effects on your body will be when used together.
Once you know how your body reacts to the low dose, you can slowly increase the dose to get the benefits you want. Make sure not to overdose on any of these!
· Kratom has addictive properties. Therefore, before starting to use both of these together, you need to be aware that once you start, you might get addicted to its effects. However, it’s less addictive than opioids, which is why it helps with opioid withdrawal.
· Kratom, in high doses, can have a sedative effect. When combined with the relaxing properties of CBD oil, they can produce an overly sedative effect and impair motor functions. Therefore, it’s recommended not to drive or perform other activities that require focus and motor coordination. Stay safe and keep others around you safe!
· Kratom, unlike CBD, is not legal for consumption in the US and many other countries. Therefore, make sure you’re following the local laws!
The bottom line is: BE CAREFUL!
The use of kratom and CBD together isn’t widely studied, so there may be effects that no one has predicted yet!
Are there any side effects of using CBD oil and kratom together?
Apart from their sedative properties potentiating each other, the side effects of taking kratom and CBD oil are their individual side effects summed up.
When it comes to CBD oil, only one side effect has been noted, that too, only for the first few weeks of consumption. Diarrhea is the only documented side effect of CBD oil.
On the other hand, kratom has many more side effects than CBD oil. Here are a few side-effects you might face if you’re consuming kratom:
· Nausea and vomiting
· Dry mouth
· Constipation (the constipating effect of kratom and diarrheal effect of CBD may cancel each other out initially)
· Increased frequency of urination
· Numbness of the tongue if the oral route is used for consumption
· Skin itching
These are some of the most common side effects of kratom consumption that have been reported by those using them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is kratom legal?
No, Kratom is not legal in the United States and has been banned in many countries due to its addictive properties.
Is kratom stronger than opioids?
No, Kratom is not stronger than opioids. It has a milder effect than opioid even though it targets the same receptors.
That being said, plenty of research still needs to be done on the long-term effects of kratom on the human body and its effects when it’s used in combination with CBD oil. While there is a lot of evidence and research to support the beneficial effects of CBD oil, there’s limited research out there when it comes to consuming kratom.